Lets see... Mutants, Demons, Magical-Monsters, etc? --- Check
Psycho Elven prince bent on eradicating the human race? --- Check
Army of 70x70 elite warriors made of solid gold that rebuild themselves? --- Check
And an attitude to boot!
My third review is of the upcoming film HellBoy 2: The Golden Army. Now, I wasn't too impressed by the first film, just didn't find it very interesting, but the sequel (for once) was better than the original. The action was intense, the fight scenes were perfectly choreographed, the girl (see right) was stunning, what is the film missing? Well, if I'm honest, not a lot.
So, HellBoy, a Demon rescued off the coast of Scotland and adopted by the US military and the core of the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defence team takes centre stage for this Fast paced Action Fantasy film.
As child, the Professor Trevor Bruttenholm (deceased in the first film) read to HellBoy the story of the 'Industible' (indestructible) Golden army; an army of 70x70 (4900) warriors made of solid gold; commanded by the Elven king.
In the beginning, all races lived in harmony; or so the story said; but the Humans dreamt of conquest, controlling the world (isn't that just typical of humanity) And so, the Humans waged war upon the race of Elves, and the Elven forces, decimated, began to retreat. The king of the elves was approached by the greatest of the Goblin smiths, who proposed he construct an army of indestructible warriors of gold. The Prince of the Elves convinced his Father to agree, and using a golden crown, the king lead his army of Gold to slaughter the armies of Man. As the King watched his army, tear his opposition to pieces, with an unrelenting merciless force, he saddened. A treaty was formed between the races of Humanity and that of Elves.The men could keep to their cities, and the Elves to the forest. The Crown of gold used to control the Army was divided in to three segments, on of which passed to the Humans as sign of their deal. The young prince, enraged by the treaty cast himself into exile, to return when his people needed him.
So, come the 21century, all history regarding the Elven deal forgotten in all but myths. The prince returns from exile to wage war upon humanity, and his intentions are to revive the Golden Army.![]()
Now THIS, is an interesting storyline. Compared to this, the first HellBoy was nothing. The acting is amazing, the jokes funny and well placed, the scenery exquisite, my only comment, HellBoy 3? If you watch on film of 2008, I recommend this of all the films I've watched so far. In cinemas 20 August, and you really HAVE to see it.
The film itself is naturally very dark, but an amazing film, especially for being 12-A rated.
Liz: We're looking for the entrance to BethMora.
Goblin: Trade me something.
Liz: I have a shiny belt.
Goblin: I have no pants.
Liz: I have a pair of magic eyes.
Goblin: No, I already have binoculars.
| Trailers/Anticipation: | 6/10 |
|---|---|
| Storyline: | 10/10 |
| Acting: | 9/10 |
| Humour: | 10/10 |
| Visual Effects: | 10/10 |
| Music | 6/10 |
| Overall: | 9/10 |
The two poorest ratings I gave have their reasons,
- Anticipation - The First film was sub-par at best
- Music - Barry Manilow - Can't smile Without You? Not my thing.
But overall, the fact this film was amazing on visuals, storyline, acting, the works. It deserves a 10, but get's a 9. If they keep this up and the next film is anything like this (and has good music) I can almost assure HellBoy 3 a 10/10
No comments:
Post a Comment